Welcome! I'm happy and humbled you've stopped by.....Cozy up and follow along as I share my attempts at simple living with you.

Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day of Remembrance

September 11th is a day of Remembrance for America. We remember the tragedies of this date. We pray for the lost and those whose who lost someone special when our country was attacked in a way we had never known before, nor could have even dreamed possible. Lives were changed forever. But we're hopeful, in spite of the 911 events, that America will stand stronger and taller.





I didn't personally know anyone connected with 911. But this is still a time of remembrance and reflection for me, for a totally different reason. It was 6 years ago this week that my life changed in a heartbeat. I was diagnosed with Acute Mylogenous Leukemia. I went to the doctor because everyday I would wake up with a headache. It was a dull headache that just seemed like more of a nuisance than anything. I was just beginning a new homeschool year and was trying to pack up our every belonging to make the move back home to Pennsylvania. (We were living in Wisconsin)




One blood test changed everything. A CBC revealed extreme anemia and before I knew what hit me, I was on my way to the Hematologists office. It wasn't until I turned into the driveway and saw the sign that read Office of Hematology and Oncology that I knew I was in trouble. To make a long story short, I was given a couple bags of blood, had a bone marrow biopsy (OUCH!) , and was sent on my way. The biopsy revealed AML and the doctor set me up with a Pennsylvania doctor to begin treatment as soon as we arrived home.





I spent 6 months in and out of the hospital. With each chemo treatment, I spent a month in the hospital, and a month at home to recover before beginning the process again. I was convinced that if the disease didn't kill me, the treatment would. And then there was the little matter of my hair. God certainly has a sense of humor, doesn't He? Sometime along the way I just surrendered and took the clippers to my head. In my old life, once upon a time, I was a hairdresser. A hairdresser without hair is hardly funny! But I took in stride. Actually, I don't think I looked half bad without hair! Losing my eye lashes was worse than losing my hair. (They looked like spider legs.) And not having to shave was great!




But here we are today, 6 years later, I'm in remission.....living my best life. I have a clearer vision of what I want my life to look like. I have a closer relationship to God. Just like Jesus had His 12, I have mine. You find out very quickly who your friends are when you are in a time of need. I learned to receive with grace. I was always the giver and the care taker. But I realized that some of us need to learn to receive. Giving and receiving are so intertwined. Its God's grace that allows us to give and to receive. And lastly, Like America, my life is changed forever. I could have never dreamed the nightmare of Leukemia, but today I'm stronger. I'm more focused on my God, and my family and I'm looking forward to my future.


Praising Him

Tammy






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story, I'm glad you are still in remission. I have a good fried who had leukemia 20+ years ago and she is still going strong! I remember the hair loss, chemo, bone marrow transplant, etc..., but the worse part was she had three little girls, ages 4, 2 and 2 months old. God healed her and allowed her to return home and raise her family. Today, she remains cancer free. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin