Welcome! I'm happy and humbled you've stopped by.....Cozy up and follow along as I share my attempts at simple living with you.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Country Life/City Life

If you read my last post, you know that we have made the transition from the country to the city.  


Well kinda.....
actually we have one foot in the country and the other in the city. We have been living in two places. And I can tell you, it's been very challenging.  It definitely challenges my idea of 
Simple Living.

Just the other day I saw a Facebook post from Louise's Country Closet that really brought to light the reality of how different life is living in the city versus good old country living. 


 It was a photo of her soon-to-be wood shed that her hubby was building to ensure they could keep their wood dry. 

Hubby  storing some of his
goodies up in the wood shed with
some help from a very little Jack
(taken in 2011).

We too have a wood shed at our country house.  We use the downed trees on our 8 acres to heat our home.  But here in the city, no won't find any such thing. There are no wood sheds,
No wood stoves, 
no wood furnaces or fireplaces. 
In the city, you don't have any choices on home heating.  
You just get what you get! 



Another obvious difference is no one has a garden.  Sure, we see an occasional tomato plant on an apartment balcony.  And I'm happy to say there is a community garden nearby, but for most every city dweller, a garden is something that is out of their reach.  

We returned home the last 2 weekends to tend the garden.... 


host a bridal shower....

and celebrate some birthdays. 


(more on these events later)

When we returned to our little apartment yesterday
we brought along a huge haul from the garden.  I sure hope the neighbors weren't watching as we paraded back and forth from the apartment to the parking lot as we unloaded the pick up truck!






We had coolers, bins, boxes and this huge chest that housed some of my canning supplies.  
(Big enough to hide a body in)  :)



I'm certain I will be quite busy for the next few days as I transform all our veggies into something that we can enjoy this winter.  
I'll keep you posted on what all this produce becomes!!


Here's one of the differences of city living that I can't quite wrap my brain around..... 


 I would NEVER 
shove this stuff down my drain at home.  
It would either end up in the chicken yard as a treat for the girls, or in the compost bin to benefit next year's garden.

 It just seems wrong!

And on that note...
I'll say so long!!!....

But in the meantime, if you have any thoughts on the differences between living in the country or the city, I'd love to hear them!  

Still trying to keep it simple....
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin