Welcome! I'm happy and humbled you've stopped by.....Cozy up and follow along as I share my attempts at simple living with you.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Season of Harvest



I love this picture....

Of course I love it because it's a picture of my 2 little darlings...
But that's not the only reason.
This is a picture that shows the grandkids enjoying summer....
and at the same time....
if you look closely....
you'll see hubby...
raisin' potatoes.

We're in the process of  transitioning from 
the season of 
SUMMER FUN
to the season of 
HARVEST.


Around here,
you can easily recognize 
Harvest Season.

For one, we're busier than a one armed paper hanger!
(It's been especially challenging this year since we are living in 2 locations.)

But also, our house begins to explode with food stores.  
Everywhere you look is a new cache of food
preserved by either canning, freezing, drying, or being ready to be stored in the root cellar.

Check it out.....


I know this looks like a lot of potatoes for 2 people....
but we'll share :)




This (picture below) is one of my secrets when I pickle beets.
 Using the (twice strained) beet juice in place of the water,
I  freeze extra pickled brine to use when making pickled eggs. 
Pickled eggs are super easy to make once you've pickled your beets.  You just add hard boiled eggs to a jar of beets.  However, more brine is always needed.  That's when I just pull out a jar of frozen brine.  Easy!
Here is my recipe for pickled beets.

(I cut back the sugar to about 3 cups or less to make the additional brine)


Pickled eggs are a staple around here.
I often have them for a fast breakfast!

frozen pickled beet juice

Two pantries are filled...

We ate all our homegrown onions.
Many of them ended up in our tomato sauce.
So we purchased some in bulk at a local farmers coop.  
These will last all winter...





Did I mention we like onions!!????

Do you dehydrate.....
My dehydrator seems to run non stop with veggies for soup as well as herbs, 
like oregano, cilantro, basil and more .....






We still have pumpkin and squash to harvest, 
as well as a few sweet potatoes.  


And hopefully....
I'll be able to get my hands on some apples for some homemade applesauce
and some
PIE!


So there you have it!
We're ready for winter....

How about you???


Trying to Keep it Simple..
Tammy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin