Welcome! I'm happy and humbled you've stopped by.....Cozy up and follow along as I share my attempts at simple living with you.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Stocking up for Winter

Wow, I can't believe it's been a month since my last blog post.  I have such good intentions to post on a more regular basis. But it seems that there is always something vying for my attention.  During the month of October,  we were busy putting our garden to rest for winter and securing our food stockpile for the cold winter months ahead.  

We put an addition our chicken house so we could take a vacation.
  This little overhang allowed the chickens to have a
  SAFE place to hang 
during the day, and at the same time, they can let themselves in and out as they please.  That way, we only needed someone to feed and water them, and  gather the eggs once a day.  

Ugly, huh?  We repurposed some wood removed from someones basement,
 so now I have to paint it.  Always something to do, right?  Sometimes, I think these critters are more trouble than they're worth! 

So.......we did have a chance to get away for some much needed R&R.  Here's a sneak peak of our  little getaway.  I PROMISE to share more pictures SOON!



Gorgeous, huh? 

Okay, so back to the purpose of today's blog.....
Today, I thought I'd share with you our food stores. It's getting easier to put food away since the kids have flown the coop!    At this point, I have nearly everything put away.  Everything that is, except applesauce, which I will probably get to next week.  

My husband thinks we garden because it saves money.  But I don't think we save that much money, especially since there is only the two of us.  But what we do gain by growing and preserving food is peace of mind.  It gives me peace of mind to have a cache of food.  And it gives me peace of mind to know where my food comes from and how it was grown.
 It's organic,
 non-gmo, 
wholesome food!


Here's a peek....

Freezing...




Canning....



Drying...



crushing red peppers
dried beans

I dried several veggies for use in soups.
This is zucchini.




 SALSA ANYONE? 


POTATOES !  


We also raised sweet potatoes about 2 weeks ago. 
 They are still "curing."


IN MY PANTRY....
salsa, tomato juice, pears,beets, relish, pepper jelly, sauce, homemade vanilla (yum yum) and some dried herbs.


 In the "butler's pantry".......dried tomatoes, cabbage, beets, zucchini, fruit mix, peppers, mushrooms, herbs and more!






IN THE FREEZER.....
We eat a lot of our produce fresh and uncooked as much as possible.  Even so, it's good to know the freezer is filled....corn, beans, peas, pumpkin, blueberries, horseradish, corn soup and more...



In our extra fridge.....


So there you have it. 
We're ready for winter.  
Are you ready?
Do you put food away?  
What do you have in your stash?   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin