Welcome! I'm happy and humbled you've stopped by.....Cozy up and follow along as I share my attempts at simple living with you.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tips for Hard Boiling Eggs- even fresh eggs!

I have found the secret to hard boiling eggs perfectly-every time.  Many folks tend to overcook their eggs creating that nasty green layer on the outside of the yolk.  But one simple tip can fix that.  I can't believe something so simple is not so well-known.  But here it is.............

Are You Ready..................

STEAMING!  

Yep, that's right.  Steaming your eggs is the secret to great hard boiled eggs-EVERY TIME!


You just need one of these...

OR THESE




OR THESE



I used an electric steamer like the one pictured above.  Just place a small amount of water in your pan with the eggs.  (I had to use a bit more than 1 cup in the electric steamer.)  

Steam for 20 minutes.
Cool immediately.  I usually add my eggs to ice and water.
When eggs are cooled,   (It only takes 5 or 10 minutes to cool)  you are ready to Peel.  Even our fresh from the nest eggs peel fairly well, 'cause you know...fresh eggs are a bugger to peel.
I turned these eggs into pickled eggs.  Yum!    


I made pickled eggs with the beets I pickled this summer.

Happy Steaming!


For more recipes, including some Pennsylvania specialties,  go to my cooking blog, Carlisle Cooks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin